Monday 21 March 2011

Fun Weekends and Good Times

At the moment, I am incredibly thankful to be surrounded by such a good group of people in my life, whether they are family, friends or people I work with, and like so many other weekends recently, this one just gone has involved lots of fun, laughter, awesome music, good conversations and great experiences.

First up was the BBC3 live entertainment extravaganza that was Frankenstein’s Wedding – this production was broadcast live from Kirkstall Abbey, and myself and two work colleagues bravely volunteered to be extra’s. The whole thing was lots of fun, if hard work – standing outside in the cold for hours in full on formal evening attire leaves much to be desired! Plus it seemed like barely anyone actually knew what was going on for most of the time, and the BBC staff failed to get us out to the correct place in the crowd for the flash mob style wedding dance which was a bit of a disaster from our point of view at least. Still, it was an experience, and I’m glad that I got involved.

From a music point of view, this weekend involved a choir singing tainted love which was great, plus a bit of Kaiser Chiefs, some deep house music, a gorgeous electro mix, and some fantastic DnB (as always!)


This first track is quite old now, but still sounds fresh and current when listened to today – which is always the mark of a great track. This is Sigma and Chase and Status with All Blue – and it is amazing! It is a great rolling Drum and Bass track, with gorgeous vocals running most of the way through the track, plus it has a great melody to it. Sigma are up there in my top producers, and Chase and Status have also made some incredible tracks, and this brings together the best of both of them. I love it, and must say thank you to my friend Jon for bringing this to my attention yesterday!

This mix is a personal all time favourite, and has been listened to countless times in the years that it has been in my collection. Even so, I still remember my reaction to it the very first time that I heard it – and that was to put the mix on repeat over and over again that weekend. The superlatives involved to describe this at the time included “absolutely gorgeous”, “beautiful”, “amazing” and “stunning” to mention just a few – in my opinion all of these still apply, as this mix certainly lives up to its name. Click here to join the facebook group that Charlie Jackett has created to share his mixes with people, and then download the Filthy Electro Trash mix from the discussions tab. (Click here for link) I cannot recommend this mix enough to you – it is tune after tune of really well mixed dirty pounding electro music, with gorgeous vocals, and lovely beats! 


I already posted this track once last week, however that was just the music – on today’s link, you can watch the accompanying video, which is great and works really well with the track. Over the coming weeks, I will post links to further video’s / music from the new album ‘Yikes!’ from London Elektricity, so keep reading for more great tracks. Also, for those of you in the North of England, make an effort to attend Hospitality Leeds on the 6th of May as this event is the official album launch for ‘Yikes!’ The vocal in this track is just delicious. Plus there are links to buy copies of this track in the video information on YouTube. 


Last for your listening delectation, we have a track from the official soundtrack for NeoTokyo – I haven’t seen the video game, but ended up listening to this soundtrack last week after it was recommended by friends and I fell in love with it at first listen. This is something a little different, it's by a fella called Ed Harrison, and I think it's incredible, it has so much depth and is really moving. This first track I've linked you to is great, it sounds really delicious - it's very gentle, and melodic, and I find it very soothing. I also love the way that it switches throughout the track! I’ve included just this one track, but click here for the link the playlist for the official soundtrack. This really is a treat for the ears, and will help ease me through the stress of a Monday afternoon at work – I hope it does the same for you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment