Friday 12 August 2011

Guest Blog - It's a Gem!

Today's guest blog is from another one of my friends, Gemma, who has a strong appreciation for music, and very varied and wide ranging influences. She has picked some right tunes for us today, hope you enjoy them!

Guest Blog - It's a Gem!

From a very young age, my Dad has influenced my music tastes. Heavy Rock, Prog Rock…. The occasional textbook ‘Dadrock’ (Dire Straits….literally!) . When all the other kids were listening to Take That (the first time) I was mainly rocking out with my metaphorical cock out, to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith and Metallica.
This lust for filthy bass playing, meaty drum fills and face-melting lead guitars has led me to some awesome music…some Rock, some Industrial and a lot of flipping cool. Some of which I’m going to share with you now!

The first track is ‘Nightmare’ by Avenged Sevenfold. It’s becoming a bit of a classic in the rock genre…. Mysterious creepy start, absolutely pounding drums and a gorgeous raw vocal. My absolute drum hero Mike Portnoy of Dream Theatre is the drummer on this track. His prog rock roots really come through.


Moving on to some electronic sounds now. Because of the aforementioned addiction to a bit of pounding…. The following covers this in a musical and lyrical sense!  German Industrial outfit Miss Construction with Fuck Me Too


Let the pounding continue. The next track is Polygon Window (Also known as Aphex Twin)… It’s mainly percussive based and very old now but makes me wanna move!

 This is a random one I found whilst in night shift mode...and he’s my new music crush. I like the sharp electric blippy bits (wow I’m great with words!) This is Blawan with Bohla.

Last one from me. An oldie but a goodie…. From the Matrix soundtrack. Hive with Ultrasonic Sound. For me this opened the pathways into me exploring more electronic music. It has some D’n’B influence with a dirty phat bass drive. I don’t have a clue what genre it is…. It makes me drive fast though!


Hope you enjoyed the heavy …

No comments:

Post a Comment