Friday 2 September 2011

Guest Blog - Katie Knows the Score!

Today, I have a guest blog from a friend I have only gotten to know better over recent months - however we get on very well, as we both share the same passion for music, in particular Drum and Bass, and even more specifically, the darker / deeper side of this genre! So without further ado, here is what Katie has to say...

Guest Blog - Katie Knows the Score!


This recent mix for K-mag has been around for a couple of months now, but thanks to a combination of excellent track choices and freshly pressed dubplates, it still sounds as crisp and clean as it did on the day it showed up and blew me away. The track above is Terminology, by Clarity, and click here to listen to the full K-mag mix!


Momentum at Wire last Friday was one of Leeds’ rare opportunities to enjoy some non B&Q-style DnB from Lenzman and Dub Phizix. I’d already firmly established that Lenzman was going to kill it, but Dub Phizix calmly and assuredly tore the place down. Here’s why.


Eastcolors has, over the past few months, built up my love for him from a mild interest to complete adoration. First hearing To Fly, a collaboration with Enei from earlier this year, I must admit I was a bit late in staking a place in the Eastcolors fanclub, but I haven’t been disappointed since. His somewhat legendary live mix posted on Soundcloud two weeks ago has received acclaim from everyone who’s heard it – basically the only way you’re going to love him as much as I do is to listen to it from start to finish. (Before you ask, track four is an as-yet unprinted Enei and DRS track called Obsession. I’m struggling for a suitable adjective for it since I’m so averse to YouTube hyperbole, but one person simply described it as “war”, which I guess pretty much sums it up. Huge tune.) Click here to listen.

Sometimes the greatest thing about DnB is the subtleties that lie under the surface. Not everything has to either powerblast into your skull or lull you into a coma – Hybris tends to strike the right balance nearly every time, incorporating enough interest and deep bass to keep up the force you’d expect. This track in particular is a favourite of mine. I’m not saying is a club smasher, but you’d be hard pressed to find something more pleasant to crack on your headphones  in the middle of the night.

As part of the Eastcolors mix posted above this track, in my opinion, is incredible. Alone it seems to lose some of its spark somewhat, but perhaps that’s just due to the only example of it available (apart from dubplates) is a short clip of dubious quality. I like to think that it was uploaded specially for me after a desperate request – much better than it being a total coincidence. Teamed with my synaesthesia this tune is silver and gold and all-enveloping. Fingers crossed it actually gets a release. This is Ed:it & Geographix ft Grimm – Cold Air - click here to listen.


I often put this song on repeat because it’s the closest I feel I could get to listening to never-ending perfection. Khanage thinks that might be a bit of a bold statement, but I’m sticking by it. Mr Perez gave it out free recently, so check DnB Share for a copy.

 
Having heard this on the Alix Perez Rinse FM show a few months back, and it’s fair to say I was stunned. Driving beat, incredible bass sound (like black rushing water, or a distant rumble of thunder) and lush chopped lyrics. As anybody will tell you though, I’m a sucker for all those things, so perhaps I’m biased. Relatively unknown at the start of the year, Mortem’s showing up in a fair few mixes now, and so far I’ve not heard a track by him I wasn’t impressed with.


I’m going to leave you with this frankly evil tune by Skeptical. It’s the first track on the Clarity mix, so it might be familiar, but it deserves an airing of its own. Ingredients have been churning out consistently amazing stuff for months now, but I’m sure you were already aware of that. If not, go and check them out immediately – you won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment